Michael A. (Mike) Crawford is Chairman of Crawford & Associates
Michael A. (Mike) Crawford is the Founder and Chairman of Crawford & Associates with over 40 years of experience working in the practice area of state and local government accounting, auditing and consulting. He is currently retired from active practice with the firm, but continues to serve as a consultant and advisor to the firm and its clients and as an author and public speaker.
Mike is a Certified Public Accountant and received a bachelor’s degree in accounting from East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma in 1977, served as Director of Finance for the City of Edmond, Oklahoma, and also worked with governmental entities as an auditor and consultant with the international accounting firm KPMG (Peat Marwick) before establishing Crawford & Associates in 1984 to provide professional services dedicated solely to the practice area of state and local government. Mike is the past Vice Chairman of the Governmental Accounting Standards Advisory Council (GASAC) and Chair of its Technical Agenda Committee. The GASAC is a 30 member national board appointed by the Financial Accounting Foundation to advise the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) on its technical agenda and other issues.
Inductee into the Accounting Hall of Fame
In 2000, Mike was inducted into the Oklahoma Accounting Hall of Fame in recognition of his accomplishments and faithful dedication to the accounting profession. Some of his more significant accomplishments and recognitions include:
- Past President of the Oklahoma Society of CPAs (OSCPA)
- Recipient of the OSCPA Public Service Award
- Recipient of the OSCPA Silver Pen Award
- Recipient of the Oklahoma Municipal League's President's Gold Award
- Recipient of the AICPA Outstanding Discussion Leader Award
- Past Member AICPA Governing Council, Peer Review Committee, and Ethics Committee
- Past AICPA Representative to the GASB Advisory Council (GASAC) Click here to see AICPA letter
- Past Vice Chairman of the GASAC & Chairman of its Technical Agenda Committee Click here to GASB letter
- Past Chairman of the OSCPA Governmental Accounting and Auditing, and Peer Review Committees
- Consultant to the Oklahoma Accountancy Board and Member of its Peer Review Advisory Committee
Inductee into the Government Hall of Fame
In 2016, Mike was inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame for City and Town Officials in recognition of his contributions to the betterment of municipal government in the State of Oklahoma. The Hall of Fame was formed in 1999 to recognize individuals for outstanding achievements and contributions to Oklahoma local government. To be selected, an honoree must make significant contributions to cities and towns, through their positive spirit of public service, with unquestioned ethics. Mike was honored for having been instrumental in the development and passage of many of the state laws applicable to Oklahoma municipalities, including the Municipal Budget Act, and for his long-term efforts to educate and train city and town clerks, treasurers and financial officials. He is the first CPA to be inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame for City and Town Officials. Click here to see the Induction Ceremony booklet reference to Mike.
OML President's Gold Award Recipient
Mike had the privilege of being honored in 2011 as the first ever recipient of the Oklahoma Municipal League's President's Gold Award for his many years of service to Oklahoma municipal governments. The award, the first of its kind given by the OML Board to a non-public official, honors Mike's public service to municipal governments by stating "Mike Crawford - A friend to cities and towns in Oklahoma who has shared his wisdom and expertise with so many. The Oklahoma Municipal League presents this unique award to our friend whose value cannot be measured in gold. Thank you for your many years of extraordinary service."
OSCPA Public Service Award Recipient
Also in 2011, Mike was the recipient of the OSCPA Public Service Award. The Public Service Award winner is selected from among the Society's over 6,600 members by the OSCPA’s Nominations Committee and is given to a CPA who exemplifies leadership, community involvement and impact and volunteers their own time and personal talents to public service activities at the local, state or national level. Mike was recognized for his many contributions to enhancing accounting and ethics education and to promoting and improving public trust in state and local government through his volunteer efforts and other community service activities.
Award Winning Author and Public Speaker
Mike is recognized both nationally and internationally as an entertaining and informative public speaker and has provided hundreds of professional development training sessions covering nearly every state in the United States and a number of other countries over the past 30 years. He is a five-time recipient of the AICPA Outstanding Discussion Leader Award and a recipient of the OSCPA Silver Pen Award. In previous years, he has authored or co-authored the following publications or professional resources:
- CCH Governmental GAAP Guide
- CCH Governmental GAAP Practice Manual
- CCH Governmental GAAP Update Service
- CCH Knowledge-Based Audits® of State and Local Governments with Single Audits
- CCH CPAs Guide to Independence and Ethics
- CCH Attestation Guide
- CCH Accounting Research Manager®
- AICPA Practice Aid, Checklists for Financial Statements of State and Local Governments
- AICPA Practice Aid, Applying Special Purpose Frameworks in State and Local Government Financial Statements
- AICPA Audit Risk Alert, State and Local Governmental Developments
- AICPA Resource Guide, Using Competition for Performance Improvement
- AICPA Peer Review Checklists, State and Local Government Engagements
- AICPA CPA Letter – Members in Government Supplement
In addition, Mike has authored a number of articles for various organizations on topics of governmental accounting and auditing, professional and personal ethics, and also authored an award-winning a series of humorous articles for the OSCPA CPA Focus magazine. Click here to see authored articles.
ECU Distinguished Service Award
Mike was also recognized by his alma mater, East Central University, as the co-recipient (along with his brother Frank) of the University's 2012 Distinguished Service Award, recognizing his service to the university, profession, and community.
Click here to see recognition page from award ceremony material.
Mike has been married to his wonderful wife Debbie since 1976, and they have one son, Derek who is a Professor at the University of Central Missouri and lives with his fabulous wife Morgan and son Max near Kansas City, MO. Mike spends much of his free time volunteer driving for the American Cancer Society Road to Recovery Program (click here to see related article), and in 2019 was awarded the ACS Donna Baca Caregiver of the Year Award for his service to the Cancer Society. He also enjoys travelling the world, and collecting and sharing rock and roll memorabilia, much of which can be seen on display in the offices of Crawford & Associates and in the Photo Gallery section on this site.